Monday, December 21, 2015

12/21/1967 The President's Analyst is revealed

December 21, 1967.  If someone who had not been there asked me what life in America was like in the 1960s was like I would sit them down in front of The President's Analyst.  Maybe they wouldn't learn anything, but they would have a good time and stop asking stupid questions.

But seriously, it's all there: spy movies, hippies, rock music, government conspiracies, paranoia, more paranoia...

And damn, it's funny.

James Coburn plays the lucky therapist chosen to be First Shrink for the never seen or named president.   He's thrilled but he is being followed by those two great American espionage organizations, the FBR and the CEA.  And he soon realizes he is a target for every spy  in the world and that he can't trust anybody.  Anybody.

Great performances by Coburn, Godrey Cambridge, William Daniels,  Walter Buck, Pat Harrington, Joan Delaney, etc.

Those of you seeing it for the first time in recent years are missing a key sequence, apparently left out because of a problem with the music rights.  Here is the key point you are missing: the woman our hero proposes to is one he has just met the night before.  This is a man who knows his own mind.

Some favorite quotes:

"It explains your utter lack of hostility. You can vent your aggressive feelings by actually killing people! It's a sensational solution to the hostility problem."

"We've both done weekend picketing."

 "No, I do not want that in the house. That is my car gun. My house gun is already in the house. Now, put that back in the glove compartment, and don't let me catch you fooling with my guns again. "

"If I was a psychiatrist, which I am, I would say that I was turning into some sort of paranoid personality, which I am!"

  

No comments:

Post a Comment