Thursday, May 21, 2015

5/21/1982 Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

May 21, 1982. Steve Martin's parody of noir movies, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, was released on this date.  He claimed the title was a quote from Chandler; can anyone verify that?

What made this black-and-white comedy special is that it included clips from actual noir movies.  So there are cameo appearances by Humphrey Bogart, Alan Ladd, Ingrid Bergman, etc. 

Carl Reiner directed it from a script he wrote with George Gipe and Martin.  Triple threat, because Reiner acted in the film as well.

Rigby Reardon: If you want me to investigate your father's death, I get ten dollars a day - plus expenses.
Juliet Forrest: Will two hundred dollars be enough in advance, Mr Reardon?
Rigby Reardon: Two hundred, I'd shoot my grandmother.
Juliet Forrest: That won't be neccessary.
Rigby Reardon: Never can tell. In my last case, I had to throw my own brother out of an airplane.

No comments:

Post a Comment