Saturday, October 10, 2015

10/10/1958 77 Sunset Strip drives in

October 10, 195877 Sunset Strip premiered on this date on ABC.  The stylish private eye series was inspired by some crime fiction written by producer Roy Huggins.  It starred Efrem Zimbalist, Jr, Roger Smith, and (to everyone's surprise) Edd Byrnes.  I say, surprise because Byrnes was orignally cast as a bad guy in the first episode, but he was so popular that he was brought back as "Kookie" the valet parker at the nightclub next door to the private eyes office.  Anyone remember the hit song "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb?"  No, I am not making that up.

I was a little young for that show, but I do remember an entire episode done without dialog, just music.  That was ahead of its time.

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't too young and enjoyed the show, but do not remember the music only episode...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The episode was called "The Silent Caper" and aired in early June, 1960, about a month before I was born! And I've seen the comic book! Wow!

    ReplyDelete