Here are some true events they left out of the movie:
- The forgers put the wrong date on some of the passports, indicating that the carriers were travelers from the future.
- The Canadian cabinet had to meet in secret to authorize false passports. Then the authorities refused one to the CIA agent, because he had not been included in the vote.
- When the hero visited the Iranian consulate, he left his portfolio in the taxi cab.
- The CIA agents’ map of Tehran led them to the Swedish embassy instead of the Canadian one.
- On the morning of the actual escape, our hero slept through his alarm.